Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Long night


I have always known that my kids do best when on a schedule. That is why we try to fit naps into the schedule on the weekends when we can. We also try to make sure they are in bed for the night by 8:30 (well 8:00 is bedtime but it gets later then that every now and then).

This weekend we tested those limits. Saturday Isaiah did get a little bit of a nap (maybe an hour). Saturday during the day was an exciting time (and the subject of another post). My husband decided that we needed to have a date that night. Our anniversary is next weekend but I will be working a wedding and so he decided to take me out early. So with a phone call we get a baby sitter (what would we do with out grandparents near by).

We took advantage of the time without kids and had a nice long dinner out. We finally got back to pick the kids up at 11:00 p.m. When we walk into my moms Christina is asleep on her lap. And Mom said she just went to sleep. And Isaiah was wide awake. He was watching TV with them. We get home get them in bed and go to bed ourselves. 11:55 (yeah, I looked at the clock) Isaiah walks in and said he was scared. I remind him there is nothing to be scared of and go back to bed. 12:45 He is back and still scared of the dark and shadows. This is where I am sure I have failed the parenting test. I think a good mother would get up walk him back to his room point out all the shadows to show him what made them and rub his back until he was asleep. Did I do that? Nope. I asked him what he needed. He responded that he needed a story. I informed him that it was past bed time, and past story time and he needed to go to bed and get some sleep.

I thought that was the end of it. I finally fall asleep at 1:30 (I think I kept waiting for him to come in again). I wake up at 7:00 not really wanting to be awake but for some reason can’t sleep in. My husband wakes up and I was telling him about Isaiah and he slept through it all. He thinks the dinosaur movie he watched earlier might have been a bit much for him. Then I realize I hear something. I look on the floor on the end of the bed and there is Isaiah asleep with my afghan pulled over him.

We talk quietly for a few more minutes about it, and we hear something I look up to see Isaiah quietly leaving my room and closing the door. As soon as it’s closed he opens it again and walks in like he just woke up from his bed. He was trying to be sneaky. I asked him why he slept on the floor in my room. You should have seen that little boys face as he realized he was caught. I think if he had gone to bed earlier he would not have had that problem. Oh and we are limiting the dino movies too.
(photo is from Adoption Day 2005 but its my favorite of him asleep)

No comments: